Document Type : Review Article
Department of Biology, Faculty of Basic Sciences, Islamic Azad University, East Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Biology, Faculty of Basic Sciences, Islamic Azad University, East Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran
There were more than thirty-eight million HIV infections worldwide. Combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) has progressed to the point where invisible viral loads are now feasible, and HIV carriers frequently lead almost everyday lives with considerably greater average life expectancies than in the past. However, there is still no cure for the disease. Even though the ailment usually advances to a chronic state, an individual's unique course of progression may differ significantly from the average and manifest distinctively for each patient. This diversity begs whether a typical treatment strategy is appropriate for a patient.
- Fauk NK, Gesesew HA, Mwanri L, Hawke K, Ward PR. HIV-related challenges and women’s self-response: A qualitative study with women living with HIV in Indonesia. Plos one. 2022 Oct 10;17(10):e0275390.
- Uwishema O, Ayoub G, Badri R, Onyeaka H, Berjaoui C, Karabulut E, Anis H, Sammour C, Mohammed Yagoub FE, Chalhoub E. Neurological disorders in HIV: hope despite challenges. Immunity, inflammation and disease. 2022 Mar;10(3):e591.
- Rao AK, Schrodt CA, Minhaj FS, Waltenburg MA, Cash-Goldwasser S, Yu Y, Petersen BW, Hutson C, Damon IK. Interim clinical treatment considerations for severe manifestations of mpox—United States, February 2023. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2023 Mar 3;72(9):232.
- Mangal S, Misra OP, Dhar J. Fractional-order deterministic epidemic model for the spread and control of HIV/AIDS with special reference to Mexico and India. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation. 2023 Aug 1;210:82-102.
- Hoeijmakers JH. DNA damage, aging, and cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009 Oct 8;361(15):1475-85.
- Centers for Disease Control (US). Recommendations for prevention of HIV transmission in health-care settings. US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control; 1987.
- Asadipour E, Asgari M, Mousavi P, Piri‐Gharaghie T, Ghajari G, Mirzaie A. Nano‐Biotechnology and Challenges of Drug Delivery System in Cancer Treatment Pathway. Chemistry & Biodiversity. 2023 Mar 1:e202201072.
- Broder S. The development of antiretroviral therapy and its impact on the HIV-1/AIDS pandemic. Antiviral research. 2010 Jan 1;85(1):1-8.
- Catz SL, Kelly JA, Bogart LM, Benotsch EG, McAuliffe TL. Patterns, correlates, and barriers to medication adherence among persons prescribed new treatments for HIV disease. Health psychology. 2000 Mar;19(2):124.
- Piri Gharaghie T, Beiranvand S, Hajimohammadi S. Comparison of Antifungal Effects of Aquatic and Alcoholic Extract of Mentha pulegium L. With Fluconazole on Growth of Candida Albicans. Developmental Biology. 2021 May 22;13(2):7-18.
- Xiao J, Gao G, Li Y, Zhang W, Tian Y, Huang Y, Su W, Han N, Yang D, Zhao H. Spectrums of opportunistic infections and malignancies in HIV-infected patients in tertiary care hospital, China. PloS one. 2013 Oct 25;8(10):e75915.
- Edison T. Future positive. The Great Health Dilemma: Is Prevention Better Than Cure?. 2021 May 27:179.
- McAuliffe L, Bauer M, Nay R. Barriers to the expression of sexuality in the older person: the role of the health professional. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 2007 Mar;2(1):69-75.
- Crossley ML. The perils of health promotion and the ‘barebacking’backlash. Health:. 2002 Jan;6(1):47-68.
- Settlage J, Southerland S. Teaching science to every child: Using culture as a starting point. Routledge; 2012 Apr 23.
- Green EC. Rethinking AIDS prevention: Learning from successes in developing countries. Greenwood Publishing Group; 2003 Nov 30.
- Jorm AF. Mental health literacy: empowering the community to take action for better mental health. American psychologist. 2012 Apr;67(3):231.
- Piri Gharaghie T, Beiranvand S, Ghadiri A, Hajimohammadi S. A Review of Bioinformatics Studies on the Function of Structural and Nonstructural Proteins and the Level of Glycoprotein Inhibiting Heme Metabolism by SARS-CoV-2 Virus. Jundishapur Scientific Medical Journal. 2022 May 22;21(2):176-93.
- Lindegren ML, Kennedy CE, Bain‐Brickley D, Azman H, Creanga AA, Butler LM, Spaulding AB, Horvath T, Kennedy GE, Cochrane HIV/AIDS Group. Integration of HIV/AIDS services with maternal, neonatal and child health, nutrition, and family planning services. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 1996 Sep 1;2012(10).
- Musoke PM, Fergusson P. Severe malnutrition and metabolic complications of HIV-infected children in the antiretroviral era: clinical care and management in resource-limited settings. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2011 Dec 1;94(6):1716S-20S.
- Piri-Gharaghie T, Zarinnezhad A, Naghian B, Babaei R. Molecular detection of fungal APR1 gene in serum of multiple sclerosis patients: a personalized medicine research. Personalized Medicine Journal. 2022 Jun 1;7(25):15-24.
- Haas AD, van Oosterhout JJ, Tenthani L, Jahn A, Zwahlen M, Msukwa MT, Davies MA, Tal K, Phiri N, Spoerri A, Chimbwandira F. HIV transmission and retention in care among HIV‐exposed children enrolled in Malawi's prevention of mother‐to‐child transmission programme. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2017;20(1):21947.
- Pegues DA, Engelgau MM, Woernle CH. Prevalence of illicit drugs detected in the urine of women of childbearing age in Alabama public health clinics. Public Health Reports. 1994 Jul;109(4):530.
- Taghiloo S, Ghajari G, Zand Z, Kabiri‐Samani S, Kabiri H, Rajaei N, Piri‐Gharaghie T. Designing Alginate/Chitosan Nanoparticles Containing Echinacea angustifolia: A Novel Candidate for Combating Multidrug‐Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Chemistry & Biodiversity. 2023 Jul;20(7):e202201008.
- Cortes Rivera M, Mastronardi C, Silva-Aldana CT, Arcos-Burgos M, Lidbury BA. Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive review. Diagnostics. 2019 Aug 7;9(3):91.
- Vreeman RC, Scanlon ML, McHenry MS, Nyandiko WM. The physical and psychological effects of HIV infection and its treatment on perinatally HIV‐infected children. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2015 Dec;18:20258.
- Christian AK, Dake FA. Profiling household double and triple burden of malnutrition in sub-Saharan Africa: prevalence and influencing household factors. Public Health Nutrition. 2022 Jun;25(6):1563-76.
- Ward H, Rönn M. The contribution of STIs to the sexual transmission of HIV. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS. 2010 Jul;5(4):305.
- Williamson LM, Dodds JP, Mercey DE, Hart GJ, Johnson AM. Sexual risk behaviour and knowledge of HIV status among community samples of gay men in the UK. Aids. 2008 May 31;22(9):106.
- Mellins CA, Tassiopoulos K, Malee K, Moscicki AB, Patton D, Smith R, Usitalo A, Allison SM, Van Dyke R, Seage III, for the Pediatric HIV-AIDS Cohort Study GR. Behavioral health risks in perinatally HIV-exposed youth: co-occurrence of sexual and drug use behavior, mental health problems, and nonadherence to antiretroviral treatment. AIDS patient care and STDs. 2011 Jul 1;25(7):413-22.
- Duflo E, Dupas P, Kremer M. Education, HIV, and early fertility: Experimental evidence from Kenya. American Economic Review. 2015 Sep 1;105(9):2757-97.
- Slabbert M, Venter F, Gay C, Roelofsen C, Lalla-Edward S, Rees H. Sexual and reproductive health outcomes among female sex workers in Johannesburg and Pretoria, South Africa: Recommendations for public health programmes. BMC Public Health. 2017 Jul;17:17-27.
- Hughes J, McCauley AP. Improving the fit: adolescents' needs and future programs for sexual and reproductive health in developing countries. Studies in family planning. 1998 Jun 1:233-45.
- Becken B, Multani A, Padival S, Cunningham CK. Human immunodeficiency virus I: history, epidemiology, transmission, and pathogenesis. Introduction to Clinical Infectious Diseases: A Problem-Based Approach. 2019:417-23.
- Weber IT, Wang YF, Harrison RW. HIV protease: Historical perspective and current research. Viruses. 2021 May 6;13(5):839.
- Andrews KT, Fairlie DP, Madala PK, Ray J, Wyatt DM, Hilton PM, Melville LA, Beattie L, Gardiner DL, Reid RC, Stoermer MJ. Potencies of human immunodeficiency virus protease inhibitors in vitro against Plasmodium falciparum and in vivo against murine malaria. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2006 Feb;50(2):639-48.
- Gianella S, Richman DD. Minority variants of drug-resistant HIV. The Journal of infectious diseases. 2010 Sep 1;202(5):657-66.
- Pennings PS. HIV drug resistance: problems and perspectives. Infectious disease reports. 2013 Jun 6;5(Suppl 1).
- Leigh Brown AJ, Frost SD, Mathews WC, Dawson K, Hellmann NS, Daar ES, Richman DD, Little SJ. Transmission fitness of drug-resistant human immunodeficiency virus and the prevalence of resistance in the antiretroviral-treated population. The Journal of infectious diseases. 2003 Feb 15;187(4):683-6
- Peng X, Xu Y, Huang Y, Zhu B. Intrapatient Development of Multi-Class Drug Resistance in an Individual Infected with HIV-1 CRF01_AE. Infection and Drug Resistance. 2021 Aug 25:3441-8.
- Yeni P. Update on HAART in HIV. Journal of hepatology. 2006 Jan 1;44:S100-3.
- Pau AK, George JM. Antiretroviral therapy: current drugs. Infectious Disease Clinics. 2014 Sep 1;28(3):371-402.
- Clavel F, Hance AJ. HIV drug resistance. New England Journal of Medicine. 2004 Mar 4;350(10):1023-35.
- Lengauer T, Pfeifer N, Kaiser R. Personalized HIV therapy to control drug resistance. Drug Discovery Today: Technologies. 2014 Mar 1;11:57-64.
- Rong L, Feng Z, Perelson AS. Emergence of HIV-1 drug resistance during antiretroviral treatment. Bulletin of mathematical biology. 2007 Aug;69:2027-60.
- Cortez KJ, Maldarelli F. Clinical management of HIV drug resistance. Viruses. 2011 Apr;3(4):347-78.
- Lebbink RJ, de Jong DC, Wolters F, Kruse EM, van Ham PM, Wiertz EJ, Nijhuis M. A combinational CRISPR/Cas9 gene-editing approach can halt HIV replication and prevent viral escape. Scientific reports. 2017 Feb 8;7(1):41968.
- Herskovitz J, Hasan M, Patel M, Kevadiya BD, Gendelman HE. Pathways Toward a Functional HIV-1 Cure: Balancing Promise and Perils of CRISPR Therapy. HIV Reservoirs: Methods and Protocols. 2022:429-45.
- Ophinni Y, Miki S, Hayashi Y, Kameoka M. Multiplexed tat-targeting CRISPR-Cas9 protects T cells from acute HIV-1 infection with inhibition of viral escape. Viruses. 2020 Oct 28;12(11):1223.
- Wang G, Zhao N, Berkhout B, Das AT. A combinatorial CRISPR-Cas9 attack on HIV-1 DNA extinguishes all infectious provirus in infected T cell cultures. Cell reports. 2016 Dec 13;17(11):2819-26.
- Wang D, Tai PW, Gao G. Adeno-associated virus vector as a platform for gene therapy delivery. Nature reviews Drug discovery. 2019 May;18(5):358-78.
- Wang G, Zhao N, Berkhout B, Das AT. CRISPR-Cas based antiviral strategies against HIV-1. Virus research. 2018 Jan 15;244:321-32.
- Darlix JL, Godet J, Ivanyi-Nagy R, Fossé P, Mauffret O, Mély Y. Flexible nature and specific functions of the HIV-1 nucleocapsid protein. Journal of molecular biology. 2011 Jul 22;410(4):565-81.
- Piri Gharaghie T, Doosti A, Mirzaei SA. Detection of T6SS secretory system and membrane purine involved in antibiotic resistance in multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates. Journal of Microbial World. 2021 May 22;14(1):47-58.
- Allen AG, Chung CH, Atkins A, Dampier W, Khalili K, Nonnemacher MR, Wigdahl B. Gene editing of HIV-1 co-receptors to prevent and/or cure virus infection. Frontiers in microbiology. 2018 Dec 17;9:2940.
- Conniot J, Talebian S, Simões S, Ferreira L, Conde J. Revisiting gene delivery to the brain: silencing and editing. Biomaterials Science. 2021;9(4):1065-87.
- Allen AG. Utilizing the CRISPR/Cas9 System to Cure HIV-1 Infection. Drexel University; 2020.
- Pankrac JP. Development and Evaluation of a Heterogenous Virus-Like Particle (VLP) Formulation to Achieve HIV-1 Latency Reversal and Cure (Doctoral dissertation, The University of Western Ontario (Canada)).
- Yu S, Yao Y, Xiao H, Li J, Liu Q, Yang Y, Adah D, Lu J, Zhao S, Qin L, Chen X. Simultaneous knockout of CXCR4 and CCR5 genes in CD4+ T cells via CRISPR/Cas9 confers resistance to both X4-and R5-tropic human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Human gene therapy. 2018 Jan 1;29(1):51-67.
- Knipping F, Newby GA, Eide CR, McElroy AN, Nielsen SC, Smith K, Fang Y, Cornu TI, Costa C, Gutierrez-Guerrero A, Bingea SP. Disruption of HIV-1 co-receptors CCR5 and CXCR4 in primary human T cells and hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells using base editing. Molecular Therapy. 2022 Jan 5;30(1):130-44.
- Li S, Holguin L, Burnett JC. CRISPR-Cas9-mediated gene disruption of HIV-1 co-receptors confers broad resistance to infection in human T cells and humanized mice. Molecular Therapy-Methods & Clinical Development. 2022 Mar 10;24:321-31.
- Holec AD, Mandal S, Prathipati PK, Destache CJ. Nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors: a thorough review, present status and future perspective as HIV therapeutics. Current HIV research. 2017 Dec 1;15(6):411-21.
- Vanangamudi M, Kurup S, Namasivayam V. Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs): A brief overview of clinically approved drugs and combination regimens. Current opinion in pharmacology. 2020 Oct 1;54:179-87.
- Bergin H. Cardiovascular side effects of the antiretroviral agents rilpivirine, efavirenz, etravirine and abacavir: possible underlying mechanisms (Doctoral dissertation, University of Brighton).
- Scarsi KK, Havens JP, Podany AT, Avedissian SN, Fletcher CV. HIV-1 integrase inhibitors: a comparative review of efficacy and safety. Drugs. 2020 Nov;80(16):1649-76.
- Siller Jr A, Jebain J, Jinadatha C, Tyring SK. Mechanisms of Retroviral Resistance. InOvercoming Antimicrobial Resistance of the Skin 2021 May 8 (pp. 75-90). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Deeks ED. Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide: a review in HIV-1 infection. Drugs. 2018 Nov;78:1817-28.
- Waters L, Mehta V, Gogtay J, Boffito M. The evidence for using tenofovir disoproxil fumarate plus lamivudine as a nucleoside analogue backbone for the treatment of HIV. Journal of Virus Eradication. 2021 Mar 1;7(1):100028.
- Nike Adebowale-Tambe. HIV: Nonchalance, Ignorance, TBAs, others threaten Nigeria’s efforts to end mother-to-child transmission. August 1, 2022. https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/546126-hiv-nonchalance-ignorance-tbas-others-threaten-nigerias-efforts-to-end-mother-to-child-transmission.html?tztc=1.
- Piri-Gharaghie T, Ghajari G, Hassanpoor M, Jegargoshe-Shirin N, Soosanirad M, Khayati S, Farhadi-Biregani A, Mirzaei A. Investigation of antibacterial and anticancer effects of novel niosomal formulated Persian Gulf Sea cucumber extracts. Heliyon. 2023 Mar 1;9(3).
- Piri-Gharaghie T, Doosti A, Mirzaei SA. Novel adjuvant nano-vaccine induced immune response against Acinetobacter baumannii. AMB Express. 2023 Dec;13(1):1-6.
- Piri Gharaghie T, Hajimohammadi S. Comparison of anti-candida effects of aqueous, ethanolic extracts and essential oil of E. angustifolia with fluconazole on the growth of clinical strains of Candida. New Cellular and Molecular Biotechnology Journal. 2021 Jul 10;11(43):25-38.